Join us for the DuPage Greens 6th Annual Great Western Trails Cleanup in celebration of Earth Day!
9AM Saturday April 27th
Swift Road and the Great Western Trail
The DuPage Greens along with the Friends of the Great Western Trails will come together to assist in the annual volunteer trail clean-up.
We will be cleaning the busy- and as a result, dirty- section of the Great Western Trail (GWT) immediately east of Swift Rd. to the bridge over I-355 in Lombard.
Parking: There is adjacent parking available on the Southeast corner of Swift Road and the Great Western Trail.
We welcome other trail users, supporters and neighbors to join us. The event will be from 9 AM to Noon, rain or shine.
If you want to join us, please indicate by saying you are going via this Facebook event page.
Be careful out there so you can enjoy the trails year around. Here are some basic suggestions to help make the cleanup safer.
1. We suggest that you wear gloves, long sleeve shirts and long pants to protect you from thorny bushes and/or broken glass along the trails.
2. Bring trash bags and a wagon or cart, if possible, to haul the filled trash bags out to the trail crossing where we started the cleanup.
3. Please do not leave the filled bags along the trails.
4. If you want to recycle bottles and cans you’ll have to separate them and take them to your home or local recycling bin. The local authorities and waste pickup companies do not accommodate recycling along the trails. Unless you see a recycling container do not assume it will be recycled.
5. Be careful and if you see something too big or hazardous to pick up please advise us of the approximate location like north side of trail 1/4 mile east of the closest cross street by sending an email to email@example.com. With that information we can get the appropriate authorities with the appropriate equipment to safely remove the items dumped along the trails.
6. Finally, have fun, get some exercise and be sure to take lots of pics and post them to this event page!
More information about the Great Western Trails and this year’s cleanup may be found at friendsofthegreatwesterntrails.com.
Don Kirchenberg, Voluntary Chairman of the Friends of the Great Western Trails, states that, “we are very pleased to have these dedicated volunteers that are working hard for good and clean government to take the time to cleanup this important asset in our community! All are welcome to join the Greens or go to any part of a nearby trail to help clean them up.”
Thanks for your interest in the trails. We definitely need volunteers along the GWTs all year around.
See you there?
If Facebook is not your thing, please RSVP here.
Contact: Steve Alesch, firstname.lastname@example.org, 630-779-8295